Monday, January 23, 2012

Turkey day... belated as it is.

Wow. I happen to look at the date and saw that I have not posted anything since September. Shame on me.

 There has been an awful lot going on in the life of us. We decided that we wanted to move and started that ball rolling in the summer time. Since then, I liberated myself from the giant machine and began working in the community much more. It is so pleasant!

 I also cooked the Thanksgiving meal for Jesse's family. I must admit I love to cook. I mean, I LOVE to cook! I can make a tomato sauce that would bring tears of joy to your Italian grandmothers eyes, I can make meatballs that would end wars, and I can make chicken wings that men engage in fisticuffs to simply taste, and my turkey is no exception. I make a mean turkey for Thanksgiving. Of course, along with the turkey, there must come sides. Lots and lots of sides. You know that saying "if you want something done you have to do it yourself"... I live by it when cooking. Delegation is not something that I am well practiced in. Its a fault to some I suppose.

 The preparation for the turkey is a multi day process, so about three weeks before any major meal, I make a timeline and post it to the fridge. All the sides are also noted and posted where they should be. My fridge looked like the wall of a inner city detective about to make a break in a serial case. This year it was ratatouille, cheesecake, two varieties of jalapeno pepper bombs (cherry and bacon) as well as raisin sauce for the "back up ham" (*Scoff* it wasn't needed but a ham was produced anyways) strawberry sauce for the cheesecake AND of course, what thanksgiving meal is complete without turkey and cranberry sauce. All made by scratch. By me. The other members of his family also brought their own things to the meal, potatoes, roasted veggies, dressing, rolls, various desserts and other delicious bites for the meal. It was a military operation by the sheer size. But I digress.

It all fits, but HOW!?


 After tending to and meticulously creating each dish, slicing and dicing, reducing by half and stirring, I had become a little tired. The kind of tired where most things are funny and the pink ferret you just saw scamper through your hot air balloon may or may not be real. I thought to myself in the confusion of the whole meal (you haven't met that guy's family, meals are confusing) I had better label my sauces at least so no one wound up with strawberry sauce on their turkey or raisin sauce in their mulled wine. I found note cards and set to work with a permanent marker. The fumes are strong in those little suckers.

Gobble gobble!




 After the first one, announcing that the sauce is for the turkey, I got a little carried away.

Just do as Mr. Sun tells you.


Glaring spelling mistake, anyone?

I admit, I started this little project pretty late and I was already hopped up with the notion of providing holiday bliss to a large number of loud and hungry people. But the rats spelling mistake is one that I should have caught. But I was sniffing that permanent marker and dared to continue.


 This little guy is I think the one that tipped me over the edge. If anyone has seen me "draw" you will know that I lean quite close to the page. The little gobbler here has way more black lines than the others and my nose was pretty much sitting on the pen the entire time. I was on a roll!!




*shakes head*



"Oh come on" is right. 

 This little birdie mirrors the incredulous mortification that I felt the next day with my blazing sharpie-marker-hangover headache. How is it I could spend so much time coloring in the turkey settings?! Well, they were done and brought to the dinner anyways. As it happens, they were quite a hit!!



No comments:

Post a Comment